Saturday 22 July 2017

742 Halley's Comet : The Encounter



First  viewed : 13  March  1986

One  afternoon,  in  the  academic  year  1973-74,  several  of  my  class  mates  claimed  to  have  seen  a  comet  flying  past  the  school  window. By  the  time  I  got  there,  it  had  gone. I  know  now  that  whatever  they  saw , it  certainly  wasn't  a  comet  and,  as  it  was  still  daylight,  it  was  unlikely  to  have  been  a  meteorite  either. Back  then,  I  was  gutted  to  have  missed  it  and  the sense  of  disappointment  and  determination  to  catch  the  next  one  lingered.

Therefore,  I  got  very  excited  when  the  most  famous  comet  of  all , the  one  identified,  by  the  astronomer  whose  name  it  bears,  as  a  regular  visitor to  Earth  every  74-79  years, came by  once  again  in  the  autumn  of  1985. After  reading  in  the  paper  where  to  find  it  I  went  out  on  several  nights , at  least  once  accompanied  by  the  infamous  Pete, but  we  could  see  nothing.  Of  course, the  light  pollution  from  a  city  like  Leeds  is  considerable but  in  fact,  on  this  occasion,  the  comet  was  not  visible  to  the  naked  eye  from  anywhere  in  the  northern  hemisphere  so  I  missed  out  on  my  comet  sighting  again. I  vowed  to  live  until  96  in  order  to  see  it  on  its  next  visit. As  both  my  parents  died  of  strokes  at  the  age  of  71, that  seems  rather  optimistic  now.

However  I  did  watch  BBC  One's  live  coverage  of  the  comet's  encounter  with  the  Giotto  space  probe  that  was  sent  up  to  view  it  at  close  quarters  a  few  months  later. The  pictures  were  computer-enhanced  to  make  them  a  bit  more  comprehensible  to  the  lay  viewer. Frankly,  it  looked  like  an  abstract  school  painting  but   Patrick  Moore  got  very  excited  about  it  and  that  was  good  enough  for  me.

The  happy  ending  here  was  provided  by  Comet  Hale-Bop  which  I  saw  on  a  number  of  occasions  in  1997  and  happened  to  be  in  the  sky  when  a  certain  event  of  personal  significance  took  place. We'll  leave  it  there  I  think.


No comments:

Post a Comment