Monday 24 September 2018

1104 The National Lottery


First  viewed  : 19  November  1994

I  never  made  a  point  of  watching  this  and  usually  caught  the  end  of  it  before  Casualty . I  found  it  all  intensely  irritating, the  whooping  and  cheering  at  little  plastic  balls  rolling  down  a  track, the  guy  trying  to  outdo  John  Motson  in  the  pointless  statistics  stakes  ( "eighteenth  time  in  the  main  draw" etc ), the  brain-numbing  inserts  about  good  causes, Mystic  Meg, the  grumpy  old  black  woman  who  was  allowed  to  be  in  the  audience  every  week  ( or  was  it  a  sentence ? ) and,  of  course,  not  winning  anything.

Eventually,  people  got  bored  of  the  formula  and  it  became  incorporated  into  various  game  shows  with  Dale  Winton  which  we'll  look  at  separately  if  we  get  there*.

The  televised  draw  in  all  its  guises  was  scrapped  by  the  BBC  at  the  end  of  2016  and  returned  in  a  90  second  slot- which  is  all  you  need - on  ITV  earlier  this  year. 

* There  is  a  definite  cut-off  in  mind  for  this  blog  but  I'm  not  saying  what  it  is  yet.

3 comments:

  1. It's a source of (doubtless misplaced) pride that I've never bought a lottery ticket. I remember watching this show with my parents and making the (doubtless irritating) observation that mam could give me a quid ever week and every six months, I'd give a tenner back, from which we'd both be "winners". I probably deserved a slap on the head for being a cheeky little sod.

    I hope someday you'll go back to your albums blog when you wrap up this one. I did mean to say I picked up an Icehouse compilation double CD set on the back of reading your pieces on them/him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be years since I bought one- I didn't realise the price had gone up until yesterday.
    As regards the albums blog, well never say never but
    a) I'm prioritising a book about the period 1978-82 from a personal and musical perspective( if you'd like to review the passages about Northern bands that'd be great ).
    b) I'm not in the best of health at the moment so thinking more of winding things down rather than re-starting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who's had their own health problems (including a recent setback), I hope things improve in the near future. Can certainly look over any pieces you'd like me to.

      Delete