Tuesday 4 September 2018

1090 Room 101



First  viewed : 11  July  1994

This  long-running  comedy  show  also began  life  on  the  old  Radio  Five. The  format  was  very  simple, a  celebrity, usually  a  comedian  but  always  someone  loquacious, came  in  to  talk  about  the  things  they  hated  most. Presenter  Nick  Hancock  decided  whether  or  not  there  was  a  good  case  for  consigning  the  nomination  to  Room  101,  named  after  the  notorious  torture  room  in  Orwell's  1984. Hancock, never  a  favourite  of  mine, left  after  three  seasons  and  was  succeeded  by  Paul  Merton  who  hosted  it  until  it  originally  ended  in  2007. In  2012,  it  returned  with  Frank  Skinner  as  host  and  a  revamped  three  celebrity  format. It  was  announced  just  a  few  weeks  ago  that  the  programme  was  to  be  axed  once  again.

I  dropped  off  somewhere   around  the  millennium  though  I  have  occasionally  tuned  in  since. The  bits  I  recall  are :

  • Maureen  Lipman  tediously  choosing  one  of  her  own  sixties  films. This  isn't  meant  to  be  This  Is  Your  Life, love 
  • Spike  Millington  ripping  into  Chris  Evans ,"He's  so  untalented. All  he  can  do  is  small  talk"
  • Ricky  Gervais  on  Comic  Relief "Dawn  French  and  Robbie  Coltrane  telling  me  there's  a  world  food  shortage. Oh  I  wonder  why  that  is ?" Note  of  course  that  Mr  Gervais  is  not  exactly  a  svelte  figure  himself.
  • Danny  Baker  nominating  pub  food  because  he  doesn't  like  families  around  when  he's  boozing  with  his  mates





1 comment:

  1. Hancock's (to me) tedious ABUism was thankfully absent in this show... my personal favourite ep was with Frank Skinner, as he put in Shakespeare for reasons I found myself agreeing with.

    I tuned in and out of the Merton years, packing in not along after he fitted up the man in the pic above! The Johnny Vegas ep was particularly funny, though, and I enjoyed Will Self managing to completely rile Merton up the wrong way. I assume the latter took on some kind of "class warfare" approach that Self was totally not arsed about.

    Never watched the more recent series, as I thought "why mess with a formula that worked?"

    ReplyDelete