Sunday 9 September 2018

1094 Endsleigh League Football Extra


First  viewed : 16  August  1994

This  was  an  addition  to  the  night  time  schedule  on  ITV  on  a  Monday. It  was  presented  by  Gabriel  Clarke  and  covered  the  three  divisions  of  the  Football  League  left  behind  by  the  creation  of  the  Premier  League.. There  was  an  in-depth  feature  on  one  club  and  their  game  , usually  someone  in  the  news  such  as  Brighton  who  were  having  a  torrid  time  in  the  mid-nineties  and  a  round  up  of  all  the  goals  in  the  three  divisions. I'm  not  sure  when  it  ended, probably in  2000 when  the Football  League's  ill-fated  deal  with   ITV  Digital  was  concluded.

As  the   programme  went  out  late, I  usually  taped  it  and  watched  the  next  day. This  allowed  for  careful  scrutiny  of  the  footage  from  Dale  games  to  see  if  yours  truly  could  be  picked  out. In  the  picture  above,  I'm  celebrating  Dale's  goal  in  a  1-1  draw with  Hartlepool  at  the  Victoria  Ground  in  early  1996. 

5 comments:

  1. Not sure there's an equivalent moment for me... I was sat on row C or so directly behind the goal in 2009 when Rooney scored vs Wigan, so I suspect a replay in HD or so would show my mug celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that Old Trafford or Robin Park ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At OT: a fairly dreary 1-0 win (the goal was in the third minute or so) notable only for Antonio Valencia ripped O'Shea to shreds several times. A couple of years later, I was there when he snapped his leg in half vs Rangers and he's never been the same player since.

      Delete
  3. So you don't have a regular seat ? Are you at the mercy of the touts ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a "sort of" regular seat in that I have a good friend who has a season ticket with his old man. I often take the midweek games that his dad can't manage due to age/health, and any others due to holidays. It's up at the very back of Tier 3 of what is now the Alex Ferguson Stand. I quite enjoy the widescreen view of the whole pitch.

      Delete