Friday 31 August 2018

1086 World Cup 1994


First  viewed :  17  June  1994

With  no  UK  teams  qualifying, this  isn't  a  particularly  well-remembered  tournament  here  but  it  had  its  moments.

The  Republic  of  Ireland  did  qualify ( thanks  to  a  late  equaliser  from  future  Dale  midfielder  Alan  McLoughlin )  under  Jack  Charlton. Over  the  Christmas  period  I  had  made  a  throwaway remark  to  my  American  pen-pal that  I  might  go  over  and  watch  them. Her  unexpected  response that  I  could  stay  with  her  made  it  a  possibility. In  the  event, my  accountancy  exams  meant  that  I  had  to  stay  in  the  UK   while  Ireland  played  their  group  matches  but  I  went  over  for  a  holiday  anyway. I  think  I  was  in  the  air  when  Eire  played  Norway  in  the  final  group  game.

At  least,  I  was  going  to  be  in  the  country  to  soak  up  the  atmosphere. Except  there  wasn't  any. OK,  I  was  staying  in  Philadelphia  which  wasn't  a  venue for  any  matches  but  I  expected  a  little  more  interest  in  the  tournament. I  saw  a  little  of  Brazil  vs  Cameroons  in  a  bar  at  O'Hare  Airport but  that  was  it  as  far  as  seeing  any  games  while  I  was  over  there. Romania's  sensational  win  over  Argentina  was  relegated  to  the  end  of  a  news  bulletin  with  only  one  of  the  goals  being  shown. When  I  went  up  to  Boston, the  station  was  decorated  with  flags  of  the  participants  and  I  was  able  to  buy  a  World  Cup  programme  but  that  was  it.

Ireland  did  quite  well, the  highlight  coming  in  the  first  game  when  they  beat  Italy  in  New  York  with  a  goal  from  Ray  Houghton. In  the  second  game,  they  lost  2-1  to  Mexico,  the  highlight  being  substitute  John  Aldridge's  torrent  of  abuse  at  the  fourth  official  for  delaying  his  entrance. He  did  go  on  to  score  the  consolation  goal. They  got  through  to  the  knockout  stage  by  drawing  0-0  with  Norway  which.  given  the  tactical  preferences  of  the  respective  managers, must  have  been  a  footballing  feast. In  the  round  of  16 they  were  fairly  easily  disposed  of  by  Holland  2-0.

The  other  highlights  were :

  • Roger  Milla's  goal  for  Cameroons  at  the  age  of  42. Shame  it  was  the  consolation in  a  6-1  thrashing
  • Diana  Ross  missing  her  penalty  in  the  opening ceremony, a  feat  mirrored  in  the  Final  penalty  shoot  by  Italy's  superstar  Dino  Baggio. Served  him  right  for  that  ponytail
  • Germany  going  out  to  Bulgaria  in  the  Quarter-Finals
  • Maradona  being  sent  home  after  one  game  after, probably  deliberately, failing  a  drugs  test
and  a  lowlight, the  Colombian  defender  Escobar, being  assassinated  after  scoring  an  own  goal. 


3 comments:

  1. Some of this WC is remembered in the most curious ways... I ventured that Kane's Golden Boot this year was the least impressive since Oleg Salenko in '94, to general agreement.

    The Russian did manage to milk it to a move to Rangers, where he somehow looked out of his depth in Scottish football. Strange. Everyone remembers Bulgaria doing the Germans over, though, especially Letchkov's spectacular diving header. My thought at the time was "he looks older than my dad!"

    I recall watching the final with my parents, brother and a couple of friends and being the only one left awake by the end, which says a lot about the quality of the game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was speculation that Letchkov's hair loss had something to do with living down wind of Chernobyl. That Stoichov was a good player too - I seem to recall him impressing in a Champions League game a few months later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bulgarian and his Brazilian mate certainly did a number on us, no doubt! We were very lucky the former was out with injury for the 1991 Cup Winners Cup final.

      Delete