Saturday 11 August 2018

1067 Velvet Redux - Live MCMXCIII


First  viewed : 11  December  1993

Channel  Four  had  something  of  a  Velvet  Underground  night  this  Saturday  evening. I  tuned  in  for  part  of  a  concert  broadcast  from  the  reunion  gigs  in  Paris  in  June. The  programme  was  put  together  from  three  separate  gigs.  While  recognising  their  seminal  role  in  pop  culture  I've  always  been  largely  indifferent  to  their music  but  it  was  fairly  enjoyable. In  middle  age , they  were  all  far  more  accomplished  musicians  than  in  their  heyday  so  it  was  interesting  to  hear  such  rough-edged  fare  as  White  Light  White  Heat  performed  so  slickly. Drummer  Maureen  Tucker  looked  even  more  like  she'd  dropped  by  on  her  way  to  Wal-mart.

1 comment:

  1. The VU have always left me somewhat cold, and I figured it was a "you had to be there at the time" kind of gig. If these shows had merit, I wonder if it was the rest of the band catching up with John Cale, who did make several solo albums that I've enjoyed far more than anything than the VU or Lou Reed churned out.

    ReplyDelete