Thursday 19 July 2018

1060 Cracker


First  viewed : 29  September  1993

Fans  of  this  series  shouldn't  get  too  excited  here  as  I  can  say  very  little  about  it. I  started  watching  the  first  episode  while  on  holiday  in  Keswick  and  remember  the  scene  where  criminal  psychologist   Fitz  ( Robbie  Coltrane )  gives  a  brief  lecture  consisting  of  throwing  works  of  philosophy  at  the  students  but  I  tuned  out  not  long  afterwards. This  was  due  to  my  holiday  reading,  The  Secret  History,  which  became  an  absolute  compulsion  that  week. So  blame  Donna  Tartt !

Of  course  the  series  soon  gathered  a  large  army  of  fans  including  some  friends  of  mine  who  described  it  as   being  "like  Inspector  Morse  where  Morse  dies !"  and  I  did  watch  a  bit  more,  round  about  the  time  of  the  rape  storyline  but  couldn't  really  catch  up  with  it.

 The  series  proper  finished  in  1995  but  there  were  standalone  episodes  in  1996  and  2006. 

4 comments:

  1. Sad as it sounds, I think I may have watched this on the back of a piece in the Man Utd magazine explaining how co-star Chris Eccleston was a staunch fan of my team, as was his character too.

    Besides that, I did enjoy it and watching it again it's fun seeing some of my neighbourhood, as Fitz was supposed to be a Didsbury resident too. It's also interesting to see how much the city centre has changed over recent history, something I'm sure you appreciate far more than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh indeed, I remember the Arndale Centre being just a boarded-up hole in the centre of the city for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me that, bizarrely, there used to be apartments up on top of the Arndale. Roger Eagle, one time DJ at seminal Liverpool club Eric's, was a resident back in the 1980s.

      Delete
  3. Yes. I didn't realise that until 1996 when my friend said his dad had been evacuated after the bomb.

    ReplyDelete