Saturday 30 September 2017

801 Spandau Ballet in Concert


First  viewed :  14  February  1987

This  one  brings  the  "dole  era"  to  an  end; I  watched  this  on  the  Saturday  night,  knowing  I'd  be  starting  work  on  the  Monday.

This  was  a  concert  recording  from  the   The  Tube  team ,  catching  the  band  right  at  the  end  of  their  halcyon  period,  while  they  were  touring  their  last  successful  album  Through  The  Barricades .  As  readers  of  my  other  blogs  will  know , I  was  very  disappointed  by  the  band's  shift  away  from  electronic  dance  music  after  the  first  album  and  hadn't  really  been  a  fan  since  but  some  vestigial  affection  remained. That  was  rewarded  as  the  band  closed  the  set  with  a  scintillating  extended  version  of  their  debut  single  "To  Cut  A  Long  Story  Short "  which  sent  me  to  bed  happy  ( and  a  little  apprehensive  of  course ). 




No comments:

Post a Comment