Friday 8 September 2017

787 Name That Tune


First  viewed  : Uncertain

This  had  been  running  since  1976  with  Tom O' Connor  as  the  first  host   and  it's  quite  likely  that  I'd  caught  some  of  it  before  1986  but  that's  when  it  started  preceding  Coronation  Street  with  irritating  song-and-dance  man  Lionel  Blair  ( who  succeeded  O' Connor  in  1983 ) as  host.

I  now  look  back  in  wonder  at  my  naivete  in  pondering  how  a  contestant  in  the  final  round  could  identify  a  song  like  Let  Me  Be  The  One  ( The  Shadows' long-forgotten  Eurovision  entry  in  1975 )  from  one  note  on  the  piano.  Now  it's  perfectly  obvious   that  the  tune  was  selected  from  a  narrow  range  of  songs   to  which  the  contestants  had  prior  exposure  before  the  show  went  on  air.

The  show  was  axed  in  1988  with  a  revival  hosted  by  Jools  Holland  on  Channel  5  in  1997-98.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a bit of the revival, but Holland's somewhat (to me) irritating personality soon saw me not bothering, along with how his band could make any song sound the same.

    ReplyDelete