Monday 6 March 2017

624 Campus


First  viewed : 28  July  1983

This  was  a  fly  on  the  wall  documentary  series  in  six  parts  about  life  at  Edinburgh  University  which  might  have  been  of  more  interest  to  me  had  it  started  a  few  weeks  later  rather  than  finishing  the  night  before  I  got  my  A Level  results.

As  it  was  I  only  saw  one  episode  which  centred  on  whether  or  not  to  close  a  day  nursery  for  student  parents  in  the  face  of  budget  pressures. What  caught  my  eye  was  that  one  of  the  key  decision  makers  involved  was  Liberal  leader  David  Steel  who  was  also  Rector  of  the  University. I  seem  to  recall  that  some  solution  was  found  and  Steel  presented  that  same  unflappable  bonhomie  that  was   always  his  public  persona  until  a  certain  satirical  puppet  show  got  to  work  on  him.

No comments:

Post a Comment