Tuesday 6 March 2018

939 Birds of a Feather




First  viewed : 1990

I  first  watched  this  on  the  recommendation  of  a  work  colleague  who  said  it  was  near  the  knuckle  for  a  primetime  sitcom.

The  series  starred  real-life  childhood  friends  Pauline  Quirke  and  Linda  Robson  as  a  pair  of  convict  wives  in  Essex  and  Lesley  Joseph  as  their  sex-starved  cougar  neighbour  Dorian.  My  friend  was  right  ; the  series  did  push  boundaries  with  its  frank  discussion  of  sexual  matters  and  innuendo. That  kept  me  watching  for  a  while  but  eventually  I  pulled  out, partly  due  to  the  over-exposure  of  Joseph  who  was  determined  to  make  the  most  of  her  late-arriving  fame.

The  series  originally  finished  in  1998  but  was  successfully  revived  in  2014  on  ITV  and  continues.


1 comment:

  1. Totally with you on the Lesley Joseph comment. I remember the early series of this, but it soon got old quickly. Staggered that it continues to do so well on a revival, almost like a sitcom Loose Women *shudders* and I believe Quirke employs her own son in the show now

    ReplyDelete