Tuesday 28 November 2017

849 The Golden Oldie Picture Show


First  viewed : 1988

I  avoided  this  like  the  plague  when  it  first  arrived  in  the  mid-eighties; the  idea  of  the  Beeb  making  their  own  cheap  films  to  accompany  pre-video  ( i.e  pre-1977  hits )  sounded  hideous. By  1988  though,  my  punk-centric  letterboxing  when  it  came  to  consuming  music  had  eroded  and  I  was  more  receptive  to    listening  to  pop  from  previous  eras  whether  I'd  heard  it  before  or  not.

Therefore,  I  did  watch  the  occasional  episode  of  the  third  and  final  series  in  1988. The  ones  I  remember  are  Kiki  Dee's  Amereuse   ( a  soft  focus  film  of  pastoral  snogging )  and  The  Hollies'  He  Ain't  Heavy  He's  My  Brother   (  a  film  of  special  needs  kids  having  a  day  out ). The  latter  airing  may  have  helped  it  to  number  one  in  the  autumn. I  also  recall  hearing  The  Hollies'  Gasoline  Alley  Bred  and  The  Moody  Blues'  Isn't  Life  Strange   for  the  first  time  on  the  programme  though  I  don't  recall  anything  about  the  accompanying  films.

It  was  presented  by  Dave  Lee  Travis  so  I  don't  suppose  it   will  ever  surface  again  although  the  ban  on  editions  of  Top  of  the  Pops  which  he  presented  is  completely  ridiculous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment