Wednesday 1 November 2017

824 Watching


First  viewed : 1987

It's  a  bit  cheeky  to  include  this  as  I  don't  think  I  ever  saw  a  whole  episode  through. It  wasn't  that  I  didn't  like  it,  just  that  I  preferred  to  be  in   The  Red  Lion  when  it  was  on  and  by  the  time  we  got  a  VCR  I  probably  felt  that  I'd  missed  too  much. It  starred  Paul  Bown  as  shy  bird watcher  Malcolm  who  somehow  acquires  a  lively  Scouse  girlfriend  Brenda  ( Emma  Wray ). Brenda  also  came  with  a  bossy  sister  Pamela  ( Liza  Tarbuck  )  and  it  came  as  something  of  a  surprise  to  me  that  I  could  find  such  a  big  girl  attractive.

It  was  Tarbuck's  TV  debut  and  the  springboard  for  an  ongoing  media  career.  Neither  of  her  co-stars  have  done  as  well  with  Bown  still  working  as  a  jobbing  actor  and  Wray  disappearing  from  public  view  at  the  end  of  the  nineties. The  series  ran  from  1987  to  1993. 

1 comment:

  1. One of those shows that was a staple of my childhood, due to (again) me mam liking it. That said, I remember finding it pretty funny myself too, possibly due to (even then) relating to the shy, bumbling male lead as being a bit like myself. I was never into bird-watching, though.

    ReplyDelete