Saturday 13 May 2017

679 Cricket


First  viewed : 28  August  1984

It's  a  measure  of  how  bored  I  was  becoming  in  that  long  summer  vacation  that  I  was  prepared  to  give  watching  cricket  a  go. Cricket  had  always  been  my  most  loathed  sport, associating  it  with  my  Dad  hogging  the  TV,  watching  people  in  white  wandering  around  for  hours  with  occasional  short  bursts  of  action. It  was  also  a  sport  where  the  weather  could  decide  the  outcome  which  didn't  make  sense  to  me.

I'm  pretty  sure  I've  got  the  right  date  as  my  Dad  went  to  Manchester  every  Tuesday  to  conduct  small  transactions  at  the  bank  that  he  could  easily  have  done  in  Littleborough  but  I  suppose  he  wanted  to  feel  he  still  had  a  stake  in  the  big  city   and  I  wouldn't  have  dreamed  of  watching  it  with  him.

England  were  playing  Sri  Lanka  just  weeks  after  being  smashed  5-0  by  the  West  Indies  to  a  storm  of  derision  from  the  press, captain  David  Gower  coming  in  for  particular  criticism. I  recall  half  way  through  that  series  they'd  recalled  a  veteran  bowler  called  Pat  Pocock  to  try  and  steady  the  ship  and  he  was  still  in  the  team  against  Sri  Lanka. Other  than  that  I  can't  recall  a  damn  thing  about  it  and  I  remained  unconverted.


No comments:

Post a Comment