Thursday 4 June 2015

153 This Is Your Life


First  watched  : Uncertain

I  first  saw  this  long-running  show  after  I  started  watching  Coronation  Street  because  it  was  on  just  before  it  on  a  Wednesday. It  was  quite  a  frustrating  thing  to  watch  as  a  kid  because  I  usually  didn't  know  much  about  the  week's  subject  so  after  the  tension-filled  opening  when  Eamonn  Andrews  jumped  out  on  him  / her ,  my  interest  in  the  programme  usually  deflated  rather  rapidly.

This  was  particularly  the  case  when  the  subject  wasn't  a  sportsperson  or  entertainer  but  some  do-gooder e.g  cancer  survivor  and  subsequent  campaigner  Pat  Seed  and  you'd  get  a  parade  of  people  you'd  never  heard  of  giving  stilted  tributes  for  half  an  hour. You  can't  imagine  anything  like  that  getting  a  prime  time  slot  today.

Of  course  the  programme  was  glib  and  superficial  and  skated  over  any  awkward  episodes  in  the  subject's  life.

It  started on  BBC1  in  1955  and  ran  until  1964  when  Eamonn  Andrews  defected  to  ITV.  Thames  resurrected  it  with  Andrews  resuming  as  host . When  Andrews  died  in  1987  Michael  Aspel  took  over. That's  round  about  when  I  stopped  watching  Corrie  so  I  guess  this  fell  out  of  my  viewing  schedule  too.

It  moved  back  to  the  BBC  in  1994  though  still  produced  by  Thames  and  I  did  catch  the  odd  episode. I  remember  Mike  Rutherford  and  Christopher  Cazenove  being  featured  but  it  seemed  even  more  superficial  than  I  remembered  it  with    a  bias  towards  bringing  in  tenuously  linked  celebrities  rather  than  friends  and  relatives . The  last  episode  I  can  recall  watching  featured  ahem  Stuart  Hall  ( minus  under  age  lady  friends  of  course ) and  I  remember  him  having  to  fake  enthusiasm  for  Alistair  McGowan  coming  on  to  do  an  impression  when  it  looked  suspiciously  like  they'd  never  met  before.

It  was  axed  as  a  regular  series  in  2003  but  there  has  been  a  one  off  special  with  Trevor  McDonald  to  stroke  Simon  Cowell's  ego  in  2007. I'm  certainly  glad  I  missed  that  one.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment