Monday 1 October 2018

1110 Later...with Jools Holland


First  viewed :  Uncertain

This  long-running  music  show  began  in  1992  but  I  can't  be  sure  I saw  any  of  it  before early 1995. After  the  demise  of  The  Tube  and  Juke  Box  Jury, Jools  Holland  found  a  permanent  niche  as  host  of  the  live  music  programme  featuring  half  a  dozen  different  musical  acts. The  programme  is  produced  by  ex-Record  Mirror  journalist  Mark  Cooper.

I tuned  in  off  and  on  during  the  nineties  depending  on  who  was  on. I  enjoyed  the  opening  sequence  where  Holland  introduces  the  acts  in  turn and  they're  all  eyeing  each  other  up. The  most  memorable  show  for  me  was  when  Chris  Isaak  was  on  and  Holland  showed  him  a  clip  of  his  idols  The  Shadows  in  action. Isaak  had  never  seen  any  footage  of  the  group  and  was  visibly  taken  aback  by  that  silly  shoe  shuffle - "I  thought  they  were  a  lot  cooler".

Like  The  Tube  before  it,  Later  ... gradually  came  to  reflect  Holland's  own  musical  conservatism  and  it  was  always  obvious  which  acts  he  favoured  whether  they  let  him  join  in  on  the  old  boogie-woogie  piano  or  not. I  understand  he  has  cut  down  on  that  in  recent  series. I  very  occasionally  dip  into  it  nowadays.

1 comment:

  1. I think "musical conservatism" sums it up and explains why I don't think I've watched more than a few seconds for maybe a decade. It became some predictable as to who would be on: indie flavour of the week (though always a "safe" band such as Kaiser Chiefs), classic rock act, folky type, maybe a soul or blues legend and a world music act.

    Perhaps it's doubly telling that my favourite Squeeze album is the one after he left for the first time...

    ReplyDelete