Saturday 23 June 2018

1035 Sky Football


First  viewed : Uncertain

We're  now  into  the  Premier  League  era . Sky  bought  the  rights  to  screen  live  matches  and  have  never  relinquished  them  to  this  day. We  never  considered  getting  a  dish  so  until  last  year  I  never  watched  any  of  those  matches  in  my  own  home.

My  friend  Sean's  family  bought  one  straight  away  and  I was  always  welcome  to go round  there to  watch  a  game  on  a  Sounday  teatime. I  can't  say  for  certain  which  was  the  first  one  I  saw. The  Manchester  derby  on  6.12.92  which  was  Eric  Cantona's  debut  for  United  seems  like  a  good  contender  but  having   just  viewed  the  highlights there  was  nothing that  rang  any  bells . I   used  to  enjoy  going  round  there. I'd  always  been  a  bit  wary  of  their  dog  Floss    and  she  asserted  herself  by  placing  her  snout  on  my  thigh  and  demanding  a  stroke. If  I  stopped,  there  would  be  a  little  snort  so  every  game  carried  a  risk  of  repetitive  strain  injury  until  Sean's  mum  Beryl  chased  her  away.

I've  also  seen  games  at  other  friends'  houses  and  pubs  over  the  years. The  most  memorable  occasion  was  on  2.4.1994 . Dale  played  Scarborough  at  their  place, losing  2-1  and  we  stopped  off  at  a  pub  in  Malton  on  the  way  back  to  watch  the  evening  match  between  Blackburn  and  United. I  struggled  to  find  parking  so  dropped  them  off   at  the  pub  while  I found  somewhere  to  park. When  I  came  in  Sean  whispered  to  me  "Be  careful  what  you  say  , I  think  they're  all  United  fans  here". So  we  kept  quiet  until  Shearer  scored  when  the  whole  place  erupted.  If  they  were  United  fans,  they  had  a  funny  way  of  showing  it.

 I  also  recall  seeing  the  Blackburn  v  Liverpool  game  at  my  friend  Carl's  house  when  Blackburn  limped  over  the  line  to  the   Premiership  title  with  a  little  help  from  Andy  Cole's  incompetence  against  West  Ham ( not  the  first  time  they  spiked  a  United  title  bid )..

1 comment:

  1. Little bit harsh on Cole, as viewing the game back, I wouldn't consider the chances he didn't take as absolute sitters and their keeper did well. A tough one to take at the time, but it perhaps gave Ferguson the conviction to ditch some players to make way for others.

    I suspect the first live Sky game I watched was United beating Leeds 2-0 in the Autumn of 1992, at a family friend's house. I found their glitzy presentation a bit much after years of ITV's more sedate Brian Moore-fronted approach.

    ReplyDelete