Sunday 4 February 2018

911 Celebration


First  viewed : 20  July  1989

Celebration  was  a  regional  arts  programme  on  a  Thursday night  after  News  at  Ten  on  Granada. I  didn't  normally  watch  it  but  in  July  they  broadcast  footage from  a  gig  I'd  actually  attended, 10,000  Maniacs  at  the  Free  Trade  Hall, Manchester  a  couple  of  months  earlier

It  was  one  of  my  first  drives  into  Manchester  and  somewhat  nerve-wracking  as  Barry  McGuigan  had  a  fight  on  at  G-Mex  the  same  night  and  traffic  was  at  a  standstill. I  remember  asking  a  policeman  for  advice  on  parking  and  he  recognised  me  from  Spotland. The  ordeal  was  made  worse  because  I  didn't  know  how  to  de-mist  the  windscreen  and  was  constantly  trying  to  wipe  it  while  driving.

Still  I  survived  and  it  was  a  good  concert, promoting  the  Blind  Man's  Zoo  album. Natalie  Merchant  was  note-perfect . You  couldn't  say  that  about  the  bloke  she  plucked  from  the  audience  to  do  the  Michael  Stipe  part  on  A  Campfire  Song , his  tone-deaf  contribution  provoking  a  roar  of  laughter  from  the  audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment