Sunday 31 December 2017

880 The James Whale Radio Show


First  viewed : Uncertain

This  Yorkshire  TV  contribution  to  the  late  night  schedule  on  Fridays   has  cropped  up  rather  earlier  than  I  expected. Perhaps  it  had  been  on  a  few  weeks  before  I  noticed  it  on  the  schedule.

I  knew  James  Whale  from  my  university  days  at  Leeds. He  had  a  three  hour  show  in  the   small  hours  on  Radio  Aire  where  he  filled  out  the  time  with  phone-ins  because  they  could  only  afford  to  play  a  few  records. His  trademark  of  course  was  being  rude  and  abusive  to  most  of  the  callers. Being  a  glutton  for  punishment,  I  got  on  about  half  a  dozen  times  in  1985. The  first  time I  was  told  "you  sound  frightfully  boring"  but  I  persevered. I  once  got  on  for  about  15 minutes  extolling  my  views  on  debauchery  of   which  I  have  an  incomplete  and  poor  quality  recording. If  I  ever  feel  like  beating  my  head  with  something  hard  I  put  that  on  instead  as a  healthier  option. I  think  the  last  time  I  was  on  it  was  in  praise  of  James  Anderton  and  he  sent  me  away  with  a  flea  in  the  ear -"You've  been  on  before  being  stupid ".

Whale  made  a  point  of  not  wanting  students  on  the  show - perhaps  he  feared  being  worsted  in  debate- but  I'm  not  sure  that  he  pegged  me  as  one, with  my  Northern  accent. He  did  agree  to  take  part  in  a  debate  organised  by  the  University  Union's  Debating  Society  which  I  attended. He  was  of  course  your  archetypal  short, bald  DJ  in  real  life  and  he  seemed  rather  cowed  to  be  in  the  lion's  den  so  to  speak. He  didn't  say  anything  confrontational   or  particularly  memorable.

Now  he  surfaced  in  a  TV  show  broadcast  from his  radio  studio. It  was  riotously  un-pc  with  Whale  using  every  excuse  to  bring  scantily-clad   girls  into  the  frame. Linda  Nolan  regularly  appeared  in  saucy  gear  as  his   studio  assistant, the  peak  of  her  brief  career  as  a  glamour  girl. He  also  gave  a  platform  to  pariah  comedians  like  Bernard  Manning  and  Stan  Boardman. The  programme  regularly  pops  up  on  Great  TV  Disaster  type  shows  for  Whale's  attempts  to  remove  a   seriously  inebriated  Wayne  Hussey  from  the  studio.  Occasionally,  he  found  time  to  take  a   few  calls  but  rarely  allowed  more  than  a  sentence  before  cutting  them  off  in  his  usual  style. 

I  think  it  ran  till  1992. Whale's  radio  career  continues  to  this  day.   



No comments:

Post a Comment