Saturday 30 December 2017

879 Fields of Fire II


First  viewed : 26  September  1988

This   is  another  reminder  of  my  Prisoner  Cell  Block  H  obsession.  The  original  mini-series  about  cane cutters  in  Queensland  just  prior  to  World  War  Two  had  passed  me  by  but  this  continuation   was  advertised  in  the  TV  Times  and  I  learned  that  Peta  Toppano  ( Karen  Travers  in   Prisoner ) was  joining  the  cast. I  thought  I'll  have  to  tell  Steve  Taylor  about  this. Steve  was  a  fairly  senior  colleague  at  work  who  watched  Prisoner  and  particularly  admired  Peta's  boobs. The  problem  was  that  I  was  on  a  three  week  block  release  at  Liverpool  at  the  time  and  wouldn't  see  him until  after  the  series  finished. I  photocopied  the  article  and, not  knowing  his  home  address, sent  it  to  him  at  work. He  wasn't  ungrateful  but  somewhat  bemused  and  it  had  become  something  of  an  office  talking  point. No  one  admonished  me  but  I  got  the  feeling  it  hadn't  done  my  reputation  any  favours.

Anyhow  I  watched  it  and  found  it  reasonably  enjoyable. Peta  played  Gina, an  Italian  immigrant  after  the  war  who  becomes  mistress  to  one  of  the  guys. Now  in  her  late  thirties, she  did  look  appreciably  older  but  was  still  attractive  and  hot  in  the  bedroom  scenes. The  series  mainly  focused  on  a  group  of  hunky  guys  with  suitably  Ausssie  names like  Bluey, Whacka  and  Jacko  and  highlighted  historical  developments  such  as  the  disastrous  importation  of  the  cane  toad. I  also  remember  one  of  them  had  a  Polish  wife,  distressed  at  the  post-war  betrayal  of  her  country  and  the  Communist  takeover.

I'm  not  sure  if  the third  series  was  broadcast  here; I  didn't  see  it  if  it  was.   




No comments:

Post a Comment