Thursday 19 October 2017

816 Network 7


First  viewed : 3  May  1987

I  didn't  think  I'd  caught  the  first  episode  of  this  but  I  do  recall  seeing  its  most  controversial  item, the  presenter  Sankha  Guha  making  a  fake  cash  card  Blue  Peter -style  and  then  successfully  extracting  money  from  a  cashpoint  machine  with  it.  I  never  watched  it  regularly  as  I often  had  better  things  to  do  on  a  Sunday .

Network  7  was  created  by  Jane  Hewland  and  Janet  Street-Porter  and  broadcast  at  noon  on  a  Sunday  lunchtime  on  Channel  Four. It  was  aimed  at  a  youth  audience  with  fresh  young  presenters, a  fast  editing  style  and  a  focus  on  entertainment  news   rather  than  social  problems.

It  only  lasted  18  months  but  it  was  influential  and  helped  land  Street-Porter  a  plum  job  with  the  Beeb  the  following  year.

No comments:

Post a Comment