Saturday 7 October 2017

807 The Secret Servant



First  viewed :  March  1987

I  missed  this  three-part  adaptation  (  by  the  ever-reliable  Brian  Clemens  )  of  a  Gavin  Lyall  novel  the  first  time  round  in  1984  and  I  think  I  missed  the  beginning  of  the  repeat  run  in  1987  but  I  was  soon  hooked. One  reason  for  that  was  the  terrific  theme  tune  by  Dave  Greenslade, one  of  my  all  time  favourites.

Charles  Dance  played  Harry  Maxim  an  SAS  officer  assigned  to  protect   Professor  Tyler  a  visiting  nuclear  scientist  with  a  nasty  wartime  secret.  Tyler  was  played  by  Dan  O'Herlihy, always  a  reliable  villain. The  KGB  are  also  interested  in  the  visit  and  Harry  has  to  tangle  with  an  old  adversary,  Komoscin  ( Constantine  Gregory )  , the  pair  having  an  almost  friendly  relationship.

I  can't  recall  all  the  plot  details  but  I  remember  it  turned  out  that  Tyler  had  resorted  to  cannibalism  in  extremis   during  World  War  Two. After  discovering  the  secret,  Maxim  pulls  him  away  from  a  banquet  and  when  Tyler   protests,  Maxim  drily  remarks  "I  think  you've  eaten  enough". 

No comments:

Post a Comment