Sunday 10 July 2016

440 Your Life In Their Hands


First  viewed : Spring  1980

I  have  many  faults, too  many  to  mention, but  can  honestly  say  that  hypochondria  isn't  one  of  them. I  get  annoyed  by  being  ill  and  are  more  likely  to  make  it  worse  by  soldiering  on  through  it  than  wallowing  in  it.

My  mother, for  all  her  many  virtues, was  a  hpochondriac  and  always  likely  to  interpret  a slight  tickle  in  her  throat  as  laryngitis , encouraged  by  watching  programmes  like  this.

Your  Life  In  Their  Hands    was  originally  broadcast  between  1958  and  1964. It  basically  went  into  hospitals  and  investigated  the  treatment  of  various  medical  phenomena  incorporating  pre-  recorded  footage  from  the  operating  theatre. Hospitals  and  their  staff  took  part  in  it  in  the  face  of  trenchant  opposition  from  the  British  Medical  Association  who  felt  that  it  was  voyeuristic  and  would  increase  pressure  on  the  health  service  as  people  got  more  informed. It  returned  in  1980  on  BBC2  with  the  promise  of  now  seeing  blood  and  guts  in  colour. It  was  also  more  focused  on  individual  cases  than  general  issues.

I  can't  for  the  life  of  me  understand  why  anybody  would  choose  to  watch  this  for entertainment. I'm  not  squeamish - as  you  probably  know  I  like  horror  films - I'm  just completely  uninterested  in  the  subject  matter. Just  let  the  professionals  get  on  with  it ! Therefore  this  falls  into  the  category  of  something  I  saw  reluctantly  because  I  was  fed  up  of sitting  in  my  room  alone.

The  programme  ran  regularly  until  1987  and  has  been  revived  periodically  since.

No comments:

Post a Comment