Tuesday 29 March 2016

365 Running Blind


First  viewed :  12  January  1979

And  so  we  move  into  1979  which,  as  I've  declared  elsewhere  is  my  happiest  calendar  year  so   pretty  much  everything  over  the  net  few  posts  has  a  golden  glow  around  it.

This  three-part  adaptation  of  a  Desmond  Bagley  Cold  War  thriller  replaced  the  second ( and  final ) series  of  Target  on  a  Friday  night. I  missed  the  first  episode  but  my  mum  saw  it  -  she  had  a  thing  for  the  lead  actor  Stuart  Wilson -  and  filled  me  in.  Wilson  played  Alan  Stewart  , a  former  MI5  man  blackmailed  into  a  delivery  job  in  Iceland    by  his  corrupt  former   boss  Slade  ( George  Sewell ). There  he  meets   the  lovely  Elin  (  Heida  Steindorsdottir )  but  is  being  pursued  by  KGB  man  Kennikin  ( Vladek  Sheybal  )  who  was  once  shot  in  the  wedding  tackle  by  Stewart  and  understandably  isn't  too  happy  about  it. I  remember  my  mum  having  to  explain  what  "impotent"  meant  to  me.

It  was  pretty  good  although  the  Cold  War  themes  would  seem  dated  now  and  had  a  dramatic  denouement  ( no  spoilers  here ).  The  gorgeous  Steindorsdottir   hasn't  been  seen  on  British  TV  since  but  appears  to  still  be  working  as  an  actress  in  her  native  land.

No comments:

Post a Comment