Wednesday 6 January 2016

315 Dave Allen at Large



First  viewed : Uncertain

I  haven't  much  time  for  the  "guilty  pleasure"  concept  as  a  rule  but  it  certainly  did  apply  in  this  case.  My  father  used  to  bring  home  the  Catholic  newspaper  The  Universe  and  my  C  of  E  mother  would  read  it, probably  more  attentively  than  he  did. There  would  frequently  be  letters  or  comment  pieces  lambasting  this  particular  show.  Now  despite  marrying  one,  my  mum   still  had  a  fair  amount  of  anti-Catholic  bias   ( being  married  to  my  dad  might  have  actually  reinforced  it  )  inherited   from  her  Freemason  father  ( dead  before  she  met  my  dad )   and  frequently  succumbed  to  the  temptation  to  sneakily  let  me  see  some  of  this  when  he  wasn't  looking. I'd  have  been  surprised   if  he  knew  who  Dave  Allen  was  to  tell  you  the  truth.

The  bone  of  contention  of  course   was  that   Dave ( actual  surname  O' Mahony ) , brought  up  in  Dublin,  devoted  a  large  part  of  the  show  to  satirising  the  rituals  and  morals , not  usually  the  beliefs  , of  the  Roman  Catholic  church. This  was  not  narrowly  sectarian  - he  had  a  searing  contempt  for  the  "Reverend"  Ian  Paisley - but  a  reflection  of  his  religious  scepticism   and  disgust  at  his  own  early  education. The  sketch  I  recall  most  vividly  is  one  where  a  priest  in  a  confessional  booth  tells  the  confessor  his  sins  are  the  most  disgusting  things  he's  ever  heard  and  the  camera  cuts  away  to  show  a  cardinal  exiting  the  booth.

Dave  was  pretty  funny  all  round  and  his  dry  observational  style  was  an  influence  on  many  contemporary  comedians.  I  have  no  real  idea  when  I  first  saw  it  but  at  the  beginning  of  1978  he  had  a  short-lived  move  over  to  ITV   so  it  must  have  been  before  that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment