Thursday 3 December 2015

289 The Feathered Serpent


First  watched  :  21  June  1976

This  is  another  one  that  fell  through  the  cracks.I  was  looking  out  for  it  but  thought  it  might  have  been  a  year  or  two  later. I  think  this  could  well  be  the  first  series  I  watched  entirely  on  my  own; I  don't  recall  anyone  else  being  in  the  room  with  me  when  this  was  shown  on  a  Monday  teatime.

The  six-part  serial,  based  very  loosely  on  Aztec  culture  was  the  creation  of  actor/writer  John  Kane  who'd  previously  contributed  to  The  Adventures  of  Black  Beauty  and  The  Kids  From  47A. He'd  also   been  in    Dr  Who   in  the  final  Jon  Pertwee    story  Planet  of  the  Spiders  as  the simple-minded  Tommy and  The  Feathered  Serpent    does  have  a  strong  Who- feel  to  it , heightened  by  the  presence  of  Patrick  Troughton  as  the  main  character  Nasca.

Nasca  is  the  fanatical  high  priest  serving  the  bloodthirsty  god  Teshcarta  who  becomes  enraged  when  the  vacillating emperor  Kukulman  ( Tony  Steedman )  proposes  a  marriage  for  his  daughter  Chimalma  ( Diane  Keen )  with   Prince  Heumac  ( Brian  Deacon )  from  a  neighbouring  tribe,  which  threatens  to  re-establish  the  worship  of  a  more  pacific  god  Kwala. This  sets  the  stage  for  a  surprisingly  bloodthirsty  drama  which  pushes  the  envelope  with  murder, torture,  human  sacrifice  and  semi-nudity  though  it's  almost  entirely  male. Richard  Willis  as   Tozo, the  rather  annoying  teenage  hero  of  the  tale,  is particularly  skimpily  attired. Keen  the  only  female  in  the  cast  boasts  a  rather  rounded   navel  in  her  costume.

I  should  say  that  the  above  is  based  only  on  the  original  six  part  series. With  the  principal  villains  both  apparently  killed  in  the  final  episode  I  assumed  that  was  that  and  was  quite  surprised  when  it  returned  for  a  second  series  in  1978. I  toyed  with  the  idea  of  watching  it  but  then  decided  against. I  can't  remember  why since  I  really  enjoyed  the  first, series, perhaps  just  because  I  was   consciously   pulling  away  from  kids  TV  by  then   and  didn't  want  to  revisit  it . As  it  seems  to  be  on  YouTube  I  will  perhaps  remedy  that  in  the  next  few  weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment