Friday 9 December 2016

554 Rich World Poor World


First  viewed : Summer  1982

This  series  was  originally  shown  on  ITV  in  the  autumn  of  1981  but  I  saw  it  at  school  as part  of  my  A  Level  Sociology  course. Doing  that  subject   was  a  mistake; I'd  erroneously  been told  that  my  preferred   third  A  Level  subject,  Politics,  couldn't  fit  with  my others, History and English  Literature,  in  terms  of  timetabling. When  I  found  out  that  was  wrong,  I  simply couldn't be  bothered  to  try  and  change  it  but  I  never  enjoyed  Sociology  and  only  got  a  D  in  it. I always  feel  slightly  embarrassed  putting  it  on  job  application  forms.

Rich  World  Poor  World  was  a  documentary  series  about  global  inequality  between  the Northern  and  Southern  Hemispheres  with  particular  reference  to  the  Brandt  Commission, a gathering  of  world  players  under  the  chairmanship  of  iconic  former   West  German  Chancellor Willy  Brandt.  The  main  UK  representative  was   Edward  Heath, giving  the  lie  to  the  frequent  suggestion  that  he  did  nothing  but  sulk  after  his ousting  by  Margaret  Thatcher.

Obviously  these  problems  are  still  with  us  for  the  foreseeable  future.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment