Sunday 9 August 2015

197 The Champions


First  watched : Uncertain

I  don't  know  when  I  first  saw  this  but  there's  a  diary  entry  noting  that  I  watched  it  on  1st  December  1974  which  was  a  Sunday  and  I  do  recall  it  being  on  Sunday  afternoons  around  the  time  we  would  raid  the  bins  at  The  Railway  for  beer  bottle  tops  before  being  chased  away  by  the  proprietor  Major  Laycock.

I  also  recall  that  my  sister  was  more  enthusiastic  about  it  having  a  thing  for  Alexandra  Bastedo.

The  Champions  were  three  agents  for  an  international  law  enforcement  organisation  called  Nemesis  who  had  acquired  some  special  powers  after  a  plane  crash  in  Tibet  ( probably the  first  time  I'd  heard  of  the  land ). It  was  made  in  the  late  sixties  by  Lew  Grade's  ITC  organisation  who  covered  most  bases  by  having  an  American   ( Stuart  Damon ) , European ( Bastedo )  and  Brit  ( future  sitcom  stalwart  William  Gaunt )  as  the  trio. The  series  was  produced  by  Monty  Berman,  producer  of  The  Saint  and  shared  writers  with  The  Avengers  and  Danger  Man  so  it  falls  into  line  with  those  other  adventure  series  of  the  time  with  hokey  plots  and  high  production  values. Thirty  episodes  were  made  in  total.


No comments:

Post a Comment