Saturday 11 July 2015

176 International Circus Showtime




First  watched : 12  July  1974

On  26th  January  1974  I  went  with  my  gran  on  a  trip  to  see  the  circus  at  Belle  Vue, arranged  by  the  school. It  is  still  my  only  visit  to  a  circus. It  came  from  Denmark. The  lady  on  the  front  of  the  souvenir  programme  ( not  mine  unfortunately ) is  Annette  Jensen  ( aka  "Nelly  Jane"  who  died  in  2009  aged  74 ) . We  enjoyed  it  although  my   recollections  of  the  trapeze  acts, clowns  and  most  of  the  animals  are  meagre . The  one  act  I  really  did  enjoy  was  Helmbrecht  Hoppe  and  his  Unrideable  Mule   which  offered   members  of  the  audience   a  chance  at  being  a  circus  star  if  they  could  stay  on  the  animal. Some  young  men  ( no  one from  our  party )  tried  and  failed  then  a  soberly -dressed,  middle-aged  man  got  up  to  the  loud  protestations  of  his  wife  who  was  trying  to  drag  him  back  into  his  seat. The  argument  continued  into  the  ring  and  the  mule  ended  up  chasing  her  around. I  realise  now,  and  probably  had  an  inkling  at  the  time,  that  they  were  part  of  the  act  but  it  was  well  done  and  absolutely  hilarious.

We  must  have  told  my  mum  about  it  because  six  months  later  she  called  me  out  of  bed  to  watch  the  same   thing  on  BBC  One  on  a  Friday  evening.  I  didn't  see  myself  on  screen  and  given  the  length  of  the  show's  run  it's  unlikely  to  have  been  filmed  on  the  same  night  we  were  there  but  the  possibility  was  exciting.

NB I  know  there's  a  discrepancy  between  the  title  and  the  programme  cover  but  that's  how  it  appears  on  Genome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment