Monday 16 February 2015

92 Olympics 1972


First  watched : 1972  ( funnily  enough )

To  this  day  I  don't  care  very  much  about  the  Olympic  Games  as  they  bring  to  the  fore  what  for  me  are  seriously  dull  sports  so  the  blanket  TV  coverage  is  never  something  I  welcome. I  don't  think  I  watched  much  of  it  in  72  as  I  don't  recall  the massacre  or  watching  Olga  Korbut  doing  her  thing. However  I  do  remember  the  brouhaha  about  Mark  Spitz  winning  all  those  medals  so  I  must  have  seen  some  of  it.

Whether  Spitz, an  American  Jew,  was  fired  up  by  the  massacre  to  overachieve   you  can't  say  but  his  decision  to  retire  from  competition  immediately  afterwards  at  the  age  of  22  was  almost  certainly  influenced  by  those  events. In  the  immediate  aftermath  he  was  a  superstar, he  and  his  moustache  appearing  in  many  magazines  and  advertisements. After  a  brief   and unconvincing  attempt  at  acting  he  became  a  sports  pundit  but  from  the  mid-eighties  retreated  into  private  life  where  he  has  a successful  real  estate  company  and  other  business  ventures. In  1992  he  attempted  to  qualify  for  the  1992  games  as  part  of  a  documentary  project  but  didn't  make  the  qualifying  time; in  a  measure  of  how  much  the  sport  had  progressed  the  bar  was  set  higher  than  some  of  his  medal-winning  times !  I  didn't  like  Michael  Phelps  so  I  was  sorry  he  managed  to  beat  Mark's  record  though  Mark  himself  was  phlegmatic  about  it.


No comments:

Post a Comment